Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Timpa "No Go"s

Well, I really need to blog about Martha's and my hike to Timpanogos Cave. This was Martha's idea (I think she wanted to push me of a cliff). I however must be a glutton for punishment because when Martha tried to back out of it the night before ("it'll be too cold", "I can do ANYTHING but cold", "please don't make me hike in the cold" yadda yadda) I persuaded her to do it anyway. It really didn't help that everybody at Pounce was telling her it would be snowing, windy and below 20 on the hike! Thanks a lot girls! But, she overcame her fear of freezing (thanks to Brian finding some thermals for her, hee hee) and we took off. I really should have taken a pic of her when she showed up at my door. Perfect hair and makeup, and wearing cute clothes. PLEASE! We're hiking Martha!

Anyway, off we went. Here's a pic of Martha coming out of the ladies room prior to the hike.Believe it or not she was still cold so she stole my extra sweatshirt and gloves.She also decided about 20 feet up the trail that she didn't want to carry her water bottle. "Lets go back and put it in your car" I said. "No, I'll just hide it behind a tree". She sure is sneaky!

So up the trail we go. Even though I was giving it all I had, Martha hardly broke a sweat or was out of breath. In fact, there were several parts of the hike where she literally pushed me up the hill. It was a little frustrating when she would take off and then tell me to hurry up and catch up with her.After this pic she decided we should switch cameras. I personally think she wanted to hide all evidence of her abuse! Hmmmm... anyway.

This is how I was feeling...But alas, we made it to the top! Woo hoo!Martha said, "Okay Aubrey, look tired". LOOK TIRED??!!! I was already LOOKING FREAKIN TIRED!

Going down was much easier, for ME anyway. Martha has a bad knee so I thought I'd help out a little...Martha was terrified however that I would trip and send us both to the bottom of the mountain.
Thank you Martha for your encouragement and for truly"pushing" me. You are a great friend. Everybody always says so, including the old folks kicking my butt on the mountain. You're wonderful and a life-long friend (if I don't push you off the mountain when we go AGAIN on Friday!) All are welcome to join us, if you think you can keep up!

8 comments:

Janet said...

I love those pics! Good Job!

Adhis said...

I went up the mountain that same day! A few minutes into my hike, the back of my throat got itchy. It just wouldn't quit, so I knelt down to pray and BEHOLD! there was a bottle of fresh water nestled by the trees! I used it to gargle that itchy throat away, and not wanting to be wasteful, spit the water back into the bottle.

Thanks, Martha! You were an answer to prayer!

Heidi said...

WOW! Last time I did that I wanted to die! Great job guys. My sister used to do it every friday, too!

Kat said...

He he he. Adhis, I love your comment. LOL :) Good job Aubrey! You rock.

Meredith said...

Wow, Martha actually went!! She was putting up a good fight I almost believed that she was gonna ditch out on you! Martha's all talk though haha JK!!

So I just started this blogging thing and I'm already OBSESSED!!

Kimmers said...

Way to go Aub!!! Good Job... It makes a difference when you have someone that is willing to push you. You can do it!!

Gwen said...

you rock! keep doing your homework and martha-jill will keep you meeting your goals, and you will keep inspiring the rest of us.

Charlene Roberts said...

Thanks for finding me. I actually checked out your blog last night. That hike up to the cave sounds so innocent I think it's a mile and a half, what you come to find out in the process of the hike is that is that it's a pretty steep grade. I took my kids last summer, it was a blast.

I see you are a night owl too.