Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Random Ramblings

So, I was thinking about life and how I always look forward to what is coming without quite appreciating what is in the "now".

We've probably all done it. I mean, remember when you were 11, and just couldn't wait until you were out of primary? Then you turn 12 and you look forward to being a teenager. 13 comes and you're antsy to be 14 so you can go to church dances. 14 isn't as sweet as 16 so you can drive. 16 loses it's glamor when you consider being an adult. At 18 you discover you're only "sort of" an adult but won't be considered a "full adult" until 21. 21 rolls around and people really don't respect you because you're in your early 20's. You finally receive the respect you wanted at 30, but it's all down hill from there. Each birthday after that puts another toe in the grave. Well, maybe that's a little exaggerated but you get the point.

Same thing goes for parenting. You want baby to sleep. You want baby to smile. You can't wait till baby walks. We want to hear "Mama" or "Dada" but at age 3 you want them to STOP calling your name constantly. You can't wait until school starts then cry when you see them off. Isn't life strange?My goal right now is to strive to live more in the moment. For this moment will pass all too quickly and I'll wonder what happened to my time and if it was well spent. I love my family and want to cherish every moment I can with them, making memories and sharing traditions. What will you do to seize the day?

3 comments:

Adhis said...

Pretty much, at this point, I only look forward to 1pm (nap time), 5pm (Daddy gets home), and 830pm (all kids are asleep).

As for seizing the day, I'm finally writing instead of waiting for the perfect uninterrupted moment to write.

Jen said...

Thank you for that reminder. I need to remember this when Corbin is waking me up every two hours all night long.

Jackie said...

Good post. I remember being a teenager, and I couldn't wait to be 21, because then I could drink. I joined the Church around that age and screwed that up. Oh well.....